Wednesday 6 October 2010

A couple of days' worth

I was intending to write a post last night, but tiredness caught up with me, so it's been postponed until tonight.
I spent a couple of hours at work yesterday afternoon seething with what I thought was righteous indignation, after what, in my opinion, was a completely unnecessary and heavy-handed bit of 'man management'. I followed a piece of 'custom and practice' which had appertained to those training everywhere I'd worked before, but which is frowned upon in my new workplace. Rather than a quiet 'word in the ear' to correct the error of my ways, I was summoned to the duty manager's office to be lectured like a naughty schoolboy, and that by someone with less than a third of my industry experience. I'll accept being told I'm in the wrong if that's the case, but there are ways and ways of doing things, and I was decidedly unimpressed by that way of doing things. It perhaps seems a bit on the trivial side at one day's remove, but I was pretty annoyed at the time.
Today threw up an example of the downside of working in the London area. I was travelling through the City of London (the financial district, for anyone who might not know) by bus, only to find that the police had closed various streets because of a security alert, which, needless to say, gridlocked the whole area. Luckily, I wasn't under any time pressure, but a journey that should have taken 20 minutes eventually took over an hour. I dread to think what it'll be like when the Olympics are in town in a couple of years time - I think a holiday might be called for sometime around then!
I saw my first real cutie since my move en route to the station this morning - very pretty, blond, much too young, but lovely to look at. A much nicer way to start the day than many I could think of.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

No comments:

Post a Comment