Wednesday 20 October 2010

Frivolity and inanity

Two different types of humour punctuated different parts of my day today. This evening, after I'd arrived back at my brother's, there was a phase of rather silly but very amusing badinage (at least, we thought so!) centred around a questionnaire my niece was answering as part of an online application for a part-time job with a national bakery chain who are opening a new shop in the area. Hopefully we haven't damaged her chances too much by distracting her with laughter, and my brother, sister-in-law and I did help her with the more serious 'C.V.' part of the application, so with any luck she'll make a good impression. As an aside, it's amazing how involved the application form is for what is effectively a 'Saturday job' - anyone would think she was trying to become an astronaut rather than selling sandwiches and cakes!
In dismal contrast, there was a different kind of 'humour', to use the word very loosely, in evidence at work earlier in the day. The welter of sexist and bigoted 'jokes', comments and opinions that emanated from some of my colleagues this afternoon was thoroughly depressing. Needless to say, they were all laughing like drains at their own inanity. I doubt that it will be long before I fall out with somebody by telling them what I think of their attitudes - I never have been known for suffering fools gladly.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

No comments:

Post a Comment