Friday 8 October 2010

Looking forward to home...and calm

I've almost reached the end of my second week in my new job, and, if nothing else, the time certainly isn't dragging. I seem to have done little all week except work and travel to and from work, including a couple of fraught cross-London trips with very tight connections to catch trains to and fro. The upshot of it all is that while I've been bowled over by my friend's kindness and hospitality in giving me a 'home away from home', and my gratitude for that is deep and sincere, I'm really looking forward to going back to Cornwall tonight, and spending a quiet weekend recharging my batteries and catching up with family life. I've got a couple of extra days at home to look forward to, as well, although the reason for me being off next Monday and Tuesday isn't exactly pleasant - my wife is going to have a 'day case' minor operation on Monday, and I need to be around for 24 hours afterwards because of the (hopefully) unlikely eventuality of her suffering an adverse reaction to the anaesthetic, or some other complication.
Not surprisingly, my wife is rather nervous about Monday, and it's just got me thinking about why hospitals, given that their reason for being there is caring for and helping people, often arouse such qualms, especially where any procedure involving anaesthesia is concerned. I would guess it's the loss of control over your own destiny, the 'your life in their hands' syndrome. I've tried to be as reassuring to my wife as I can, but I have to admit that it hasn't been easy - if anything, I dislike hospitals even more than she does, and the possibility of anything going wrong doesn't really bear thinking about for me. I'll need to keep my own worries under wraps so that I can hopefully help as much as I can, and console myself with the thought that the statistics are on our side - while the things that can go wrong in hospitals are 'newsworthy', and you tend to hear a lot about such misadventures, in at least 99% of cases, everything goes according to plan, and I don't feel too much as though I'm tempting fate in thinking that my wife will be within that 99%.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

No comments:

Post a Comment