Thursday 14 October 2010

Mining

I tend not to comment too often on news stories, not least because I'm not exactly an avid follower of current affairs, tending to find it all rather depressing. However, given my background as the son of a coal miner, I have to say I'm really pleased that the story of the trapped Chilean miners has had a happy ending, and that they're all safe. My dad was never, thankfully, involved in a serious accident during his 45 year career underground, but he was injured more than once, including quite a bad back injury which restricted what he could do in the latter years of his life. Mining is a dangerous job, even in this day and age, something I think people would do well to remember when they use commodities and products which the industry facilitates, whether it be coal, metals or whatever. These things don't appear by magic, they're extracted from the ground by the labour of those like the Chilean miners, or, indeed, in years past, my dad.
I'm down in Kent tonight, again being very well looked after by my brother and his family. At least I was able to contribute something to the cause today, a nice bottle of wine (Chilean, coincidentally) which we shared with the evening meal. The downside is another early start to come tomorrow morning, but not, at least, as early as today. Bedtime impends!

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

No comments:

Post a Comment