Saturday 2 October 2010

The end of a hectic week

The end of my first week in my new job, and back home in sunny Cornwall. The job itself has been fine, my training/familiarisation has started well, and even yesterday's assessment session went better than I expected, given that the largest part of it was about an aspect of my job I haven't been involved with for many years, but which I've now got to relearn - it's a relief to know I haven't forgotten everything.
The worst aspect of the week was the amount of travelling I've been doing, albeit that some of it was a bit unnecessary, because of my accommodation situation still being up in the air. I've benefited from my brother's kindness this week, and will do so next week from, if anything, an even more generous offer of the use of a spare room from a friend - still a fair amount of commuting involved, but knowing where I'm going to be is a great weight off my shoulders, and I'm so grateful to the friend concerned.
Travelling back on the train yesterday evening, towards the end of what had proved to be a rather tortuous journey, I was treated to one of the best sunsets I've seen in a long time. The line between Exeter and Newton Abbot is amongst the nicest in the country at any time, in my opinion, running as it does alongside the sea and two river estuaries, but it surpassed itself on this occasion, with the low sun shining on the water and also reflecting back from a bank of cloud out to sea made the view into a work of art.
The weekend hasn't got off to the best of starts, though - 'my' sports team have been roundly thrashed this morning in their final replay. I knew I should've stayed in bed!

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Sammy.... The description of the view from the train window, really touched me... I've always wanted to do the 'northern passage' via train, the trans- Canada route... Someday... someday...

    I'm glad that you're settling into the new routine, as well!! luv, tman<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Tony
    I'm rather biased towards trains, for reasons which I won't elucidate here, but there are few better travel experiences than looking out of a train window at a nice view - much preferable to driving a car, if circumstances permit. I hope you achieve your ambition and get to make your journey across Canada - from what I've seen on TV programmes and the like, it would certainly be a great experience.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete