Tuesday 4 September 2012

Past and future

Last night, I found a YouTube video my daughter had made - not that it was hidden, especially, there was a link from her Tumblr - which made me think about what I might say in a similar production, if I were to indulge in such things. The video was a sort of 'letter to her future self', asking the sort of questions she might ask the 18 year old version of herself if they could 'meet' in some fashion. Pretty interesting, stuff, really.
I have no idea what I might say to my future self, not least because I'm still unsure not only what my future holds, but how much of it there's likely to be. What I would like to do, though, is to be able to send a letter to my past self, me at 14. It wouldn't be a long missive, in fact I doubt it would be more than a couple of sentences. Something along the lines of 'Be yourself, no matter what, don't let the world frighten you into trying to be something you're not.' Whether, of course, I would have been willing or able to act on such hypothetical advice, is another matter entirely.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. I think we all have those thoughts...given that hindsight is always 20/20, I can think of a lot of things along the same lines to say to my 14yo self...I guess better late than never.
    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      Good old hindsight, that most useless commodity of all. At least young people today, in the same position we were at 14, have the internet, a window onto the fact that they're not the only ones who feel the way they do. It doesn't help all of them, of course, but it's better than nothing. I certainly think (or is it more hindsight?) that had I had access to the net as a teenager, my life would have headed in a completely different direction.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete