Sunday 9 September 2012

The curate's egg

It's been one of those weekends - some very good parts, but some which weren't quite as congenial.
Yesterday, as planned, I headed west to spend the day - or five hours of it, at least - with my daughter. I met her in Plymouth as planned, but she decided she didn't want to stay in the city, so we found ourselves on another train, heading into Cornwall. To say I had mixed feelings about the next few hours was a considerable understatement. Her company, and the lunch had together, was great, but being in one of my favourite Cornish seaside places, knowing that, certainly for the moment, I've 'lost' Cornwall, was very tough to swallow. There were two sides of the same coin, in a way, in my head - the thought that I shouldn't have gone there, that we should've stayed on this side of 'the bridge', and the flip side, that I wanted to go to the nearest estate agents, find a flat to rent, and move back down there next week. To make matters worse, the chances of my seeing my daughter again before the end of October are slim - she's at school, obviously, on weekdays, and involved with her drama school, including starting a Saturday morning job there next week, every weekend until almost Christmas. I just hope we can sort something out at half term.
Today's outing was much more positive, though, catching up with a good friend, nice surroundings, nice weather, a very pleasant meal, a few beers, and, most of all, good company. The only real downside came towards the end of the day, when I allowed myself to do something I was determined not to do today, and let some of my troubles creep into the conversation. My friend was very understanding, but I was disappointed with myself, nonetheless. Just a small dark cloud, though, on what was, in general, a thoroughly good day.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Love it that you had time with your daughter. She sounds like a typical teenager, believe me, my parents didn't see much of me from the time I was about 14...between getting out of the house at 4:45AM every morning, school, drama, band, church...they saw me performing more than they did at home! I'd say your daughter is normal, as are you in wondering when you'll see her again.

    I love catching up with old friends! Always a great boost to the emotions, even if some negatives creep in. Good on you, Sammy!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jay
    I guess there were more positives than negatives to the weekend, overall, but Saturday did underline how much I miss both my daughter, and Cornwall itself. Yesterday was good, though, and I'm hoping to do some more catching up later this week, too.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete