Sunday 7 April 2013

How much?!

My daughter asked me last night how many words I'd written in my latest story up to now. I told her I hadn't a clue, although, as I've said before, I already knew it was my longest to date, and still well short of being finished. So I copied and pasted the text to my word processing program, to use the 'word count' tool there. To say that I was gobsmacked is a bit of an understatement - the figure that was thrown back at me was 43189! As I posted recently, I was aware that Xander and David were taking over my life, but the extent to which that is the case is well illustrated by that word count. There's a big difference between quantity and quality, I'm well aware of that, but it certainly seems that my little love story isn't so little anymore!
My daughter went off to an impromptu YouTuber 'gathering' in London for much of yesterday - she didn't find out about it until she saw a reference to it on Twitter at 10:00 yesterday morning, so her being up here with me was serendipitous, because it gave her the chance to catch up with some people she already knew, and to meet one or two more she'd only previously been in touch with online, so she was happy with her day. I just meandered, helped by the fact that I was feeling somewhat better than I had on Friday. That, in turn, had more than a little to do with the weather finally seeming to become a little milder, something which is forecast to continue over the weekend and into the beginning of next week - losing the cold air which has plagued us for weeks might finally allow my chest to recover to something closer to normal. I certainly hope so - I'm thoroughly fed up with feeling lousy all the time.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

7 comments:

  1. 40k+! WOW! That's a bit of writing!

    Glad K had a good time, and glad YOU ARE FEELING BETTER! May the goodness continue.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      43K and counting - I wrote another little chapter this morning, and I've got the framework of the next bit in my head, which came to me while K and I were out this afternoon.
      My girl certainly enjoyed yesterday - she escaped from me for a few hours, for one thing! - seemingly making a couple of new friends, as well as reinforcing her ties with some of her existing ones. All good stuff, of course.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete
    2. I have no doubt she cherishes her time with you. She did ask about your story, no? And she's out making new friends...can't have too many friends! She's doing it the way modern folks do; hook up online, then meet in person - that's what I did 2 weeks ago, meeting 20+ bloggers and partners/husbands/etc. at one time!
      Jay

      Delete
    3. Hello Jay
      We get on well enough, I just feel I'm slowing her down, especially at the moment, with my not being at my best. And the modern model of 'friend-making' has even filtered down to an old curmudgeon like me, even if only in two instances!

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete
    4. She should slow down a bit! HAHAHAHA

      And at least one of those two instances was AWESOME! Can't wait to get back over there.
      Jay

      Delete
  2. Hi there, Sammy

    Wow - 43,000 words is well on the way to a novel, or already there by some definitions. I'm looking forward to the finished article!

    I'm glad to hear your health is improving - hopefully today's (relative) warmth will help it along. It sounds as if your daughter's having a good time too.

    Take care

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mark
      A novella, at least - I've talked a good fight about the magnum opus for a while, but I really didn't expect this to be it, in terms of quantity, at least, when I picked up the traces, a few weeks back, of the half dozen paragraphs and a few notes that had been sitting in draft for two years. The characters and situation seem to have got under my skin, though, compelling me to tell their story. I already know the ending, too, so it's really just a matter of finding a felicitous way of getting there.
      The health situation is still a bit seesaw-ish, today not being quite as good as yesterday, but it does, at least, seem to be heading in the right direction in general terms. Thank you for the good wishes.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete