Friday 13 June 2014

Endings, modifications and dreams

The effective end of another era today, that of K's educational association with the West Country - right back to pre-school, all of her education has been undertaken in or, in the case of her senior school, very close to Cornwall. But her last GCSE exam was today, and marks the final time she'll attend her very high quality, but rather old-fashioned school as a pupil (she is going back for the prom next month). And how has she decided to celebrate the occasion? By getting her nose and lip pierced. Why an intelligent and attractive young woman would want holes drilled in her face in the interests of fashion is utterly beyond me, but, then, I'm just a Boring Olde Farte®, who feels exactly the same way about tattoos and other 'body modification'. Thus have the generations differed since time immemorial!
There was an interesting example of how the subconscious 'recycles' elements from the conscious mind and spits them out as dreams during my (once more inadequate) sleep time today. I read an online story while I was waiting for my landlord to come around for a pre-arranged visit this morning (yes, that type of story!), which featured, amongst other characters, a pair of twins with unusual names. The connection resurfaced in a dream I remembered in rather more detail than usual, in the form of twins, with the same unusual names, playing football for Manchester United. Why football, why Manchester United, when I'm not a fan? Who knows? The mind moves in mysterious ways!

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Oh my. I get you on the piercings...one of the best looking young men I know - he is handsome, attractive, sexy - pierced both and now he can't understand why the guys who used to want to date him constantly no longer call. I fear it's a "rebel streak" rather than a desire to look like a fashionista. I'm so sorry for the loss of K's good looks. Thankfully, you are a smart enough dad to pretty much ignore it. Let her learn her own lesson since the holes will close up eventually when she gets tired of weird looks from people.

    My dreams...well, let's not go there. Were I 13 again, I'd be waking to sticky, wet undies, and now, well, I remember enough of them when I awake to know I ought to write them down so I can sell them! HAHAHAHA

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      As it turns out, K's 'celebration' has been postponed until Monday, but she's still adamant the piercings are going to happen. She did, though, make the point herself that they won't take that long to heal if she changes her mind.
      A few of my stories, including one very rare example that actually has a girl as a character, are based on dreams, but I haven't had any publishers beating a path to my door with cheque book in hand. Maybe you'd have more luck!

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete