Tuesday 17 February 2015

Easier with practice

As planned, K and I went out yesterday for her belated birthday meal. She'd decided she wanted to go to an American style diner, so we duly ended up in such an establishment in a shopping centre in the town at the terminus of the bus service that stops outside the flat. I doubt that any American would've found it at all authentic - it's part of what is a growing nationwide chain of restaurants, and gave the impression of being what some corporate functionary thought a diner should look like - but the food was pretty good, if not cheap, and we both enjoyed the meal. What was far more enjoyable, though, from my perspective, was the interaction with my girl - we both seemed to be 'on form', conversationally, and our banter was, and here's a word you don't hear from me too often, fun. On the way back, K came out with a comment that was straight out of the encyclopedia of back-handed compliments - she'd been talking about her on/off local boyfriend (off at the moment), the cute one who lives one bus stop away from us, and had commented on how 'difficult' he could be. Surely no more difficult than me, I replied, to which she said 'Yeah, but you get easier with practice!' before cracking up laughing. Thanks, Babes - I think!

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. AWESOME!!! All the way around! I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time. And I'd love to see what a corporate functionary thought an American diner should look like. C'mon over, and I'll take you from one end of the spectrum to the other, and they'll all be "diners"!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      Yeah, it was a good (half, that's as much as K can put up with me for!) day. I've watched, especially when I was ill a couple of years ago, numerous episodes of Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, and yesterday's place looked like the designer had been watching it, too, and decided to throw a bit of everything in!

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete