Monday 25 November 2013

Darwinian day

Well, actually, the title is rather an exaggeration, but, in the course of my meanderings on what is the first of sixteen days off I'm lucky enough to be embarking upon (using up the leave I couldn't use earlier in the year because of my health issues), I went through Downe, the village where Darwin lived and worked, and past his home, Down House, which is open to the public, albeit not today. The village itself is a bit of an anomaly, if a nice one - it's an almost stereotypical Kentish rural place, with its pub, shop and church, narrowish lanes leading to it, fields and chalkland scenery all around, but it's actually in the London Borough of Bromley, and in the Oystercard zone. Apart from the pleasant surroundings, the village led me to think about Darwin, and his legacy - I can't think of any other individual who has done more to illustrate that the biblical view of the world, its origins and composition, is completely wrong and nonsensical. I'm well aware that there are many who would disagree, but I'm convinced that the scientific evidence is on my side.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting place. I can see why that sort of nostalgia would overtake one while there. I agree with you, there's plenty of scientific evidence and proof. I watched a program last night that basically called the Bible a fiction book, based on its continuous warping through the ages because of the translators' manipulators as the work was done, not to mention the total contradictions, and historical inaccuracies. Bet the Christofacists were spewing spittle when it aired!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      The bus ride through Downe certainly reminded me of numerous similar outings I had when I was a teenager, and even younger, wandering through the villages of Kent and East Sussex, many of which don't have a bus service anymore, due to the 'joys' of privatisation.
      And I saw a blog post a few days back about a fundie pastor in your country who was apoplectic after finding the bible labelled as fiction in a supermarket, so I would guess you're right about the effect of the documentary. The truth often hurts.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete
  2. Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle...lol!

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Andy
      I'd suggest that you are a monkey's cousin, many, many times removed, as are we all!

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete