Monday 25 November 2013

The good, and the bad and ugly

Two posts from the same blog, both made yesterday (as it is now), which I read within around ten minutes of each other. The first, which really made me smile (and which K liked a lot, too, when I rang her and pointed her in its direction), the second which immediately deflated my upbeat mood. Christopher Hitchens, who I didn't really know much about until his life was almost over, wrote a book called How Religion Poisons Everything. A difficult premise to argue against, in my opinion.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

4 comments:

  1. I saw the Dear Amy post the day it ran in the newspapers. There was an immediate Twitter announcements asking if Amy's answer was "appropriate", etc. etc. I had not seen the one about the atheist girl.

    What truly amazes me is that I know so many Christians who find behavior like this repugnant. Yet they say nothing, do nothing, absolutely nothing. And thus the a$$holes and loudmouth Christofacists to have the pulpit. It's much like all the Muslims who claim "we're not all terrorists". Well, why aren't you denouncing the ones that are? Protesting their acts? TURNING THEM IN?

    It's all the same.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke. Says it all, really, doesn't it?

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete
  2. Hitchens was an interesting piece of work.

    Have you read about his same-sex activities while attending an English boarding school?

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Andy
      I can't say I know anything about Hitchens' sex life - as I said, I knew little about him at all until a couple of years ago, and the small amount more I know now is to do with his advocacy of atheism. From what I've read, though, I get the feeling he'd have been someone who would've been thoroughly interesting to talk to, if someone who I might well have had to agree to differ from in some areas.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete