Friday 1 November 2013

Domiciled

Unusually for when I'm not working, I haven't left 'domicile-ville' all day. I couldn't make my mind up about what, if anything, I wanted to do, and I wasn't all that happy with life in any case, so I just dossed around this morning, before finally dragging myself into the outside world at around 2:30, heading to the town centre for a couple of beers and some grocery shopping. The fact that I'm still in the pub nearly three hours later tells its own story, probably, although I haven't had all that much to drink - I've been reading, for the most part, bloggy stuff and an online version of The Catcher in the Rye I found the other day. I will be doing something more substantive tomorrow, albeit another alcohol-themed activity - I'm going on a brewery trip with my brother and his family, down in Kent, and staying over at his place tomorrow night, unless something unforeseen happens. A bit of human contact, at least, unlike today.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

3 comments:

  1. I get this, totally. I went to a movie tonight - Ender's Game - alone. But that's OK. I look at some things as things I want to do, and don't want anyone else.

    Now, I am drinking Maker's Mark Bourbon...alone...but that's OK. I am happy with myself. It's 3 there, 11 here, so late, but whatever.

    I LOVE Catcher In The Rye!!! One of the great all time novels. I re-read it periodically to keep my mind focused.

    No family for me until 27 November, the day before our Thanksgiving Day (the day we thanked God for getting rid of you lot! HAHAHAHAHA!!!).

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      Most of the time, I'm happy with my own company, but you can sometimes have too much of a good (or not so good) thing. This weekend should be a useful antidote in that respect.
      I'm a big Salinger fan, in so far as you can be a fan of an author who published, relatively speaking, so little - like you, Catcher is one of my all-time favourite books. I've heard Ender's Game is a good story, too, but I'm put off by the author's apparently rabid homophobia. Maybe I'll manage to get past that prejudice at some point - after all, from what I've read of some of his political views, I don't think I'd have seen eye to eye with Nabokov, but that hasn't stopped me being a huge fan of his work for thirty-odd years.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete
    2. One of the interesting, recurring themes in Ender's Game is the compassion, love, friendship and acceptance of everyone, regardless. There's even some slightly gay scenes in the book. I realize NOW that Card is a bigot, but I fear we'd lose out on a lot of fine literature and other fine things in life if we pushed aside everyone who is anti-something.
      Jay

      Delete