Thursday 7 November 2013

Never understand (reprise)

The things you see, we'd only disagree
You'll never understand that's what I want to be

Lines from a song I've mentioned on a few occasions, my 'personal national anthem', Never Understand by The Jesus & Mary Chain. It's come to mind again today, after a discussion I had with the community heart nurse, when she came to visit me for a prearranged appointment this morning. Another health professional who, no doubt with the best of intentions, wants me to stay on Warfarin, that vile rat poison, for ever and a day. The good intentions, though, are based on a fundamental misapprehension. Namely that I actually care whether I live or die.

You're never understanding
You never understand me, yeah

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

4 comments:

  1. Oh good grief. I love how the health care industry seldom listens to the patient! We're the ones keeping them in business!!!

    I know why you don't want to stay on the Warfarin. My mom was on Heparin, a derivative. Don't know if it would have made a difference, but when she had an aneurysm burst, she bled a lot more than she would have without it in her system.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      The possibility of bleeding to death in circumstances that would otherwise be relatively innocuous is exactly why I want to get off of this poison. I've got an appointment with my GP this evening, so I'll no doubt be having much the same conversation all over again.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete
  2. The fact of it is, Sammy, not about you caring, or not, whether you die and the subsequent consequences taking the actual medication, but the lack of it in your system, where, when your body slowly closes down; the severe pain and suffering you will go through. Emotions and thoughts are real, but not as real as the intensity of pain. It might just be something to add to your thoughts before you see the doc. Good luck, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello
      I'm aware of the risk factors of the conditions I have/have had, the most serious being the possibility of a stroke. It is, like many things in life, a case of 'pros and cons', and, after much consideration, I genuinely believe that this particular medication has more of the latter than the former. Whatever happens, I'll be on Warfarin for at least another month, after that, well, we'll see. Thank you for your comment.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete