Friday 6 December 2013

Dilemma

I used to be indecisive....but now I'm not so sure! I'm definitely uncertain about today, that much I can say. It's the 'works Christmas do', or as close as anyone can arrange to one, in the face of shift work, this afternoon and evening, up in London. I've been working for the equivalent outings since I moved to my current job, but, of course, I'm still on leave this time around, so I'm able to go. What I can't decide is whether I should. If the attendees are similar to last year's bash, which was in Brighton, there are a number, maybe three or four, who I wouldn't mind having a few drinks with, but there are others who I suspect, particularly given the tongue-loosening potential of alcohol, could very well engender considerable friction, or even lead to me managing to out myself. It would only take something like a bout of 'Tom Daley baiting' to set things off. I've got a few more hours to decide what to do, and I'll almost certainly be up in town later in any case. Anyone got a reliable crystal ball I can borrow?!

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

5 comments:

  1. Hi Sammy. This same dilemma was faced by myself some years ago. The topic which grew was horrendous and popular gay bait at the time, and tis one topic allowed others to come to the fore. I tried and tried talking to myself to calm down as my blood was boiling and I was marking each one in my mind, tearing them apart, as you do. I didn't know it happened until it di. Someone said to "put the whole fucking lot of them on a poisoned island and shove it away!" I jumped up and asked him angrily if he would kindly add the disabled, the poor, the people who only get so much wages in a year, because that was what that sort of stupid talk would do!" Anyhow, you get the idea. I kind of flagged a bit when I released the valve and then sat down again. The quiet hush grew again, but it was too late. Little huddles began to form as the drink was consumed. I was now out to my work. It was not good, nor ever was. The advice I would give to you, Sammy, is not to attend. It is better not to bother about their opinions, as they will have them no matter what, but you see where I am going, I never attended another function, and I was never asked directly again. I was pleased anyway. Good luck in your decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello
      Well, I went in the end, and, actually, it didn't go too badly, largely due to the mix of people who turned up - most of those who might have made it difficult for me to avoid the 'blood boiling' syndrome either couldn't make it or chose not to. A bullet dodged, maybe.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete
  2. I count myself among the fortunate to not have to deal with things like that at work. Being in education, alcohol is the furthest from anyone's mind, and all we do anyway is a catered luncheon - with box lunches of all things.

    I know how you feel, though. I'd be up in someone's face if they got mouthy about that subject. Let me know what you wind up doing.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      As I said to 'anon', it all passed off peaceably, despite fairly liberal consumption of the 'demon drink'. I did grit my teeth rather strenuously once, when the mindless 'that's so gay' comment was aired, but it wasn't followed up with anything more, so I managed to calm down again. Not a perfect night, but better than I might have expected.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete
  3. So glad it went well! I can almost let the "that's so gay" shit go if there's no kids around. But I don't hear it much at all any more. Maybe short of real redneck gathering, it's slowly but surely disappearing over here.
    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete