Monday 9 December 2013

Eventful

Yesterday proved to be interesting, in more ways than one. The best part of it was meeting up with a good friend in London, and an enjoyable get-together it certainly was - visiting, food, drink, conversation, all extremely congenial. Then discussions of a different sort, as I spent the best part of an hour, most of my journey back to 'domicile-ville', on the phone to my ex, and then to my daughter. My ex seems to be having more problems than usual around realising that our daughter, while still not totally 'grown-up', is far closer to being an adult than a child these days. I can't claim to be blemish-free in the 'letting go' process, but it's something all parents have to come to terms with, the acceptance that your offspring is an autonomous individual with their own views, aspirations, character, that they have their own life, in short, and that's exactly as it should be. I don't think anything was fully resolved in the conversation, but I hope that my ex, in particular, will understand what's necessary, however little she might want it to happen, but I've also asked my daughter to try to help make the process as painless as possible. Either side of that phone call, there was another airing of views, this one in cyberspace, but one which was never going to end in any sort of agreement, except agreement to disagree, perhaps. Ultimately, I am who I am, have been that person for a very long time, and can't change that, because if I could, I would have, long since. That said, though, my sexuality doesn't mean that I can't live as 'legal' a life as anyone else, or that I shouldn't have the right to live that life, so long as I comply with the law. And I still find the seeming assumption that being attracted to boys means that I don't possess a shred of morality or self-control extremely annoying. The final incident of the day is the one that might have the most consequences, short-term, at least. I contrived to slip on a drink someone had thrown on the floor on my way back to my accommodation, and collided with a wall with my outstretched fingers. I don't know whether I've broken any bones, but my hand is very sore this morning. And, needless to say, it's my right hand, and I'm very right-handed. I've already found, in the few things I've needed to do this morning, a considerable degree of awkwardness. This injury could be a pain, figuratively as well as literally.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Empty nesting. It will be tough on your ex-wife. Maybe even on you, though you stand the chance of having her much closer for a couple more years! YAY! I do so hope that works out.

    As to the other. I don't get it either, but I guess he's entitled to his opinion.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      Nothing's cut and dried yet, far from it - K hasn't got a school place for next year yet, although a week today will have a big bearing on that process, when she has her interview. With the amount of time K and I have been apart while she's been growing up, with me working away from home, twice, before the divorce, and the year and a half since, even having her with me more or less full-time for a couple of years will be quite something.
      People are certainly entitled to their opinions, freedom of speech is a pretty basic human right. But so is freedom of thought, and that's what it seems some would like to see denied to me.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete