Thursday 12 December 2013

The new dark ages

Where we seem to be heading if the forces of reaction, especially their religious contingent, have their way. Two stories, both referred to in this post, which I've seen in the last 24 hours and which I find thoroughly disheartening. Another report I saw regarding the Australian situation said that 27 couples are going to have their marriages annulled in the wake of that particular court ruling. Disgusting, as far as I'm concerned. The right are very fond of screaming 'judicial activism' when any court hands down a judgement that shows the slightest hint of being 'progressive'. I haven't seen any such outcry this time. Why am I not surprised?

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B


4 comments:

  1. Truly a sad day in the world. Especially in Australia, typically known for less religious overtones. India, not too surprising. Any society that worships cows...well, you know...I guess that gay sex equates to cow sex, and we know that's not allowed! However, on a purely selfish note, it didn't happen here, so how much should I care? I am becoming more and more a pragmatist. If it doesn't affect me directly, should I get too het up?

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      It doesn't affect you directly - yet. I remember, though, that Santorum, during his run for the Republican nomination, said that he would annul any same-sex marriages already in place, and there are certainly seem to be many, here as well as in your country, who would happily see every LGBT person in the world rounded up and thrown in jail, or worse. Maybe Santorum wasn't a viable candidate, and maybe the haters are just a noisy minority. But maybe they aren't.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete
  2. Yet there is hope...as Mr. Singham states:

    "Despite these setbacks, the changes are going to come because (a) the arguments against them make no sense and (b) young people are far more accepting of same-sex marriage and LGBT rights. "

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Andy
      I hope he's right, but as I said to Jay, there are certainly many who would welcome a return to the 'dark ages' with open arms. And 'young people' get older, of course, and, almost as a law of nature, seem to become more conservative with age.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete