Wednesday 4 December 2013

Like herding cats

And cats that someone is trying to nudge in another direction, at that. A day of phone calls and texts around K's application for the place where she wants to do her A-Levels has been substantially more stressful than it needed to be, for a number of reasons. K had an e-mail from the school a few days back inviting her to arrange an appointment for an interview, but for unknown reasons - beyond being 'too busy' - hadn't got around to it. I've offered whatever help she needs from the outset, but she's wanted to be in charge of the process herself - until last night, when she asked me to ring and sort the appointment out. Which I did, first thing this morning, to find that not only that they can't find her application form, but that the closing date for applications is this Friday. Having arranged a provisional appointment, I rang my ex to tell her what was going on. Which is where the problems really started. I've known from the first time K mentioned the possibility of coming up to London, well over a year ago, that my ex didn't want it to happen, but today has been the first time that it's been openly admitted. Not only that, but K knows what her mother thinks. And I'm supposed to be the one putting pressure on the girl. Yes, I'll admit I'd love K to be up here with me, but I honestly think that the priority is that the girl should be in the place that's best for her life as a whole, and I've said so on numerous occasions, to both K and my ex. The upshot of it all is that K is still adamant that she wants to go to this school, so I've told her, pretty robustly, that she needs to get her finger out, and make sure the school get the paperwork, or electronic equivalent, they need before the deadline, and that she confirms with me by tomorrow whether she can make the appointment I've arranged, so I can give them a definite 'yea or nay'. We'll see what happens.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

No comments:

Post a Comment