Friday 11 July 2014

Media day

K and I will end today considerably more 'connected' than we began it. The main event was the installation of the fibreoptic broadband I ordered a week or so ago, and, with it, a landline phone, the first time I've had such a thing for well over two years. The broadband is pretty fast, especially for downloads - an hour's TV programme on BBC iPlayer downloaded in two or three seconds, which is pretty impressive - while having a landline gives us another, and arguably more reliable, way of keeping in touch, both with each other and with friends and family. The final element was our acquiring access to TV, but, unfortunately, in a rather more expensive way than I'd hoped - the set K had brought with her from Cornwall proved not to be working, so we had to go out and buy a new one. We've ended up with an entry-level 'smart' TV, with some limited internet access, although I haven't played with that feature as yet, and without having to spend a ridiculous amount of money, less than £200, in fact. Another example of the way that technology that wouldn't have been dreamed of not so long ago, and would've cost the earth when it was launched, now costs little more than a family day out, or a posh meal. Amazing, when you think about it that way.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing where technology has brought us? I remember the TV station buying a basic, near 32" HDTV back in 2000. It costs $3000. I bought a far better one the other day for $249.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      Even after a bit of online research, I was still surprised to be able to pick up such a relatively advanced piece of kit for such a low price (thank you, Argos!). And the speed of the new broadband, when I think back to the dial-up modem that gave me my first experience of the internet, is pretty mindblowing!

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete