Friday 19 September 2014

Too politically correct, obviously

I met up with some work colleagues in town this afternoon, for a drinkies session that had been mooted several weeks ago. It was advertised as a 'civilised drink', but that was always a little doubtful, given some of the participants. Somewhere along the line, a visit to a well-known topless bar had been pencilled in, and I'd made it known that I wasn't at all interested, but, even so, everyone seemed surprised that I actually meant what I'd said, when I refused to have anything to do with it. My objections have nothing to do with my orientation, but revolve around what I consider to be the demeaning effect of such places, to the customers as much as to the staff. I went elsewhere, assured that they wouldn't be there long, but, two and a half hours later, when I hadn't been invited to rejoin them, I gave up the ghost and headed towards home. Maybe someone will add two and two, and make five, but if so, that's their problem. Contrary to what some might think, I have principles, and I intend to stick to them.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. I hate places like that, too. I used to work with some folks that were just like your coworkers. Lunch at a topless bar was right up their alley, and I hated it. I'd always walk to someplace else. I didn't much care what they thought.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      I'm pleased I stuck to my guns, even if it might have coloured some, or even all, of my colleagues' attitudes towards me. And although I didn't think of it until later that evening, it occurred to me that K, who's developing some quite staunchly feminist views, would've been disappointed with me I'd gone to the bar, something she confirmed when we talked about it yesterday morning. As far as I'm concerned, I did the right thing.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete