Tuesday 30 September 2014

The big city

'When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life.' So said Dr Johnson, a couple of centuries or so ago. Well, I've been working in London for just over four years now (the anniversary fell in the middle of last week), and actually back living here for seven months, to add to my almost two years here in the 1980s, and while I perhaps wouldn't go as far as Johnson as a metropolitan afficionado, there are, for me, decidedly more pros than cons. There are days, though, days like today when the sun is shining, the city isn't too ridiculously busy and congested and I can sit on the top deck of various buses, watching the world flow by outside, that I come close, at least, to loving the place. Maybe I'll go back to Cornwall one day, maybe I'll leave the country completely and find somewhere the sun shines more or less every day, but, in the meantime, I could think of far, far worse places to be than 'the big city'.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. I get you, 100%! I have yet to see London except peripherally, on the way to and from Heathrow to be exact! But I've been spending a lot more time in Richmond proper, and I am enjoying it a lot. Not riding around on the top of a bus (which would honestly be preferable, but our mass transit stinks), but driving and walking about with friends, and hitting all the cool eateries (NOT helping my waistline at all), seeing the sights, it's just fun as you say!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      It's certainly good to have all the social. entertainment and cultural stuff more or less on the doorstep, and particularly good to have access to 24/7 public transport good enough that there's no incentive, for me, at least, to own a car. I don't know about London's eateries, though - many of them are very good, but they all seem to be horrendously expensive!

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete