Sunday 20 March 2016

God gave you

On my way to work last night, I found myself in a tube carriage which, a couple of stops after mine, was 'colonised' by a large group of American tourists, heading into Central London for a night out, as far as I could tell from the rather loud conversation. Their accents, while I'm no expert on American regional accents, seemed to suggest a southern US origin. At one point, a woman began talking about her job as head of special needs education at a high school, including mentioning a student with visual problems, and trotted out the phrase 'God gave you two eyes for a reason'. If ever there was a 'red rag' to a sceptical atheist, and one with a scientific turn of mind, to boot, like me, a comment like that is it. My immediate reaction was to think 'No, stupid, evolution gave you two eyes because binocular vision enhances depth perception and thus confers advantages for survival of the species, most notably avoiding being eaten by predators', and I had to bite my tongue to avoid saying so out loud. It never ceases to amaze me how people, adherents of every organised religion, as far as I'm aware, are prepared to infantilise themselves so casually by accepting 'God did it' as an explanation for anything and everything. How about growing up and actually using your exquisitely evolved brain for a change, instead?

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

4 comments:

  1. As a kid, my parents had me "christened" well before I was able to remember the event, and certainly before I was in a position to give any sort of "informed consent". They also sent me off to a "Sunday School". Far from showing me the path to righteousness, what they were filling my head with, made very little sense. It served only to leave me more confused than I already was. After a couple of years, I told my parents that I didn't want to go there anymore, and if they continued to send me, I wouldn't go there. I'd rather walk the streets. To their credit, they didn't persue the issue any further.

    As an adult, having eventually managed to ditch all the bullshit I'd been fed as kid, what makes me really angry these days is that so-called "civilised society" continues to let itself be brainwashed by one form of religion or another. If that wasn't bad enough, they feel obliged to brainwash their young with all this too.

    Isn't that "grooming" ? Isn't that "corrupting" ?
    Isn't that - "abuse" ?

    Why are people so weak minded, and seemingly incapable of independant rational thought, that they let themselves continue to be conned. If not by corrupt politicians, then by religious leaders. Both of these despicable species share the same motive - to make themselves more powerful, and as a result, a great deal richer than the ordinary folks they pretend to serve.

    Throughout history, more wars have been fought in the name of religion, than any other cause. And it's still going on to this very day.

    For all our wisdom, it's as if all the blood spilled, all the lives lost, all the misery we've inflicted, all the destruction, has taught us nothing.

    Sometimes I really despair for humanity. I just wish people could see what is really going on, and what fools they have let themselves become.

    Warmest regards - Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dave
      I've said it before, but I make no apology for saying it again, I believe organised religion is the most damaging invention in the history of the human race. Closely followed by politics. There may be some light at the end of the proverbial tunnel, though. On my way back from work, at a very dark early hour of this morning, I heard another American, a young man, saying he'd rather stab himself in the heart than vote for Donald Trump. All is not yet lost!

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete
  2. On the other hand, there is something to be said for 'paired organs.'

    If one should lose one of a pair of organs (i.e., eyes, kidneys, gonads, etc.,) they are usually recommended not to engage in activities which might endanger the viability of the remaining organ.

    In the case of politicians, I posit that the hemispheres of the brain function as a paired organ, since they are normally getting by with half, or less.

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Andy
    I would add to your 'politician's brain' postulate that the only half (or smaller portion) that functions is the one that calculates their self-interest. As to the brains of religious fundamentalists, I see no evidence of cognitive function whatsoever, only autonomic processes and conditioned responses. Almost always destructive responses.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete