Monday 7 March 2016

Joining the diaspora

Out and about for the first time since my local closed just over a week ago - I finished my week of night shifts this morning, so I wouldn't have been in my local in the interim, even if it had still been extant - and I've fetched up in another Wetherspoons, three or four miles further from home. I have been here a few times before, mostly in the summer - the pub has a very nice suntrap beer garden, albeit, of course, not much use at this time of year, and, in general, is probably the most congenial option within relatively easy reach - two buses, changing, ironically, more or less right outside my former haunt - of the flat. I'd heard a few people from the old place say that they were going to be coming here, and as soon as I walked in I recognised one of my former fellow customers. I very much doubt I'll be in here anywhere near as often as I was in the old local, not least because I'll be leaving this part of London, unless something most unforeseen happens, in six months or so, but it will certainly pass muster in the meantime.
Except that I've just heard, literally as I was typing the last sentence, that this place might be closing, too. Marvellous.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

No comments:

Post a Comment