Friday 5 November 2010

1000 miles....

....and then some. As I was making my way home this afternoon, after the last shift of my latest week in London, I worked out that by the time I got back to the house, I'd have driven almost 1100 miles this week, with the round trip from here and four round trips to my brother's where I've been staying again. This is a problem on several fronts - there's the immediate expense of all the fuel I've been using (£5.50 a gallon, or thereabouts, for diesel at the moment), the worry that if I keep piling the mileage on the car the way I'm doing at the moment, it's going to turn round and bite me by breaking down expensively, and the fact that I'm ending up feeling absolutely exhausted all the time, with all the travelling on top of the actual working hours that I'm doing. I suppose it's fair to say that I should've expected all of this when I decided to go for the job in the first place, so I've got few grounds for complaints.
It's all quietened down again now, but the earlier part of this evening was, in terms of sound at least, like sitting in the middle of a war zone, with all the bangs associated with Bonfire Night. It never ceases to amaze me how bloody loud fireworks are now compared with those I remember from my youth - I'm convinced some people manage to get hold of surplus artillery shells and set those off! Even this evening's unpromisingly damp weather hasn't put people off - I have to say that I can think of many better ways to spend an evening than standing in the rain watching my money going up in smoke, but each to their own.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Holy Cow!! I know what you mean, about the fireworks, Sammy!! I distinctly remember the displays that took place, when I was a kid. They happened right at the end of the street that Iived on; still do... And, since I moved back here, some 9 years ago, now, and live in the house that my grandfather built, I am 'lucky' enough to experience the 'new' version, every 4th of July... lucky me...

    Sammy, these blasts literally set off car alarms, a half mile away!! There are WAY more detonations that are ear shattering, and, repetitively so, than when I was a kid. Somebody must have decided, somewhere along the way, that the sheer loudness of the display made it thrilling!! I find it ridiculous!! And, like you, I wince at the expense... We are having financial difficulties in my country, and, I was hoping (dreaming, I guess...) that more reasonable people would win the day, and, the money that goes up in smoke, every year, would be spent, instead, to feed some hungry kids... My suggestions in the local newspaper garnered widespread support, so, at least taxpayer money wasn't spent the past few years, but, money was raised independently, and, sent up in smoke, just like before!! {sigh} I guess I should feel gratified, but, I don't-- there are still too many people hurting out here, to justify the waste of any money, IMHO... for what it's worth... lol luv, tman<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Tony
    November 5th used to be the only night we had any significant firework displays in the UK, but Bonfire Night seems to have become Bonfire Week in recent years - I have no doubt there will be some more pops and bangs tonight, with it being Saturday. New Year's Eve is another favourite around here, great news if you're working early shift on New Year's Day, as I was earlier this year.
    I agree with you that money spent on firework displays and the like could go to much better causes, but I also think that, especially when times are hard, people need times when they can let their hair down and enjoy themselves. The trick, I guess, is to find a reasonable balance between the competing calls on the limited supplies of money around at the moment.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete