Thursday 11 November 2010

Ever get the feeling it's not going to be your week?

It's been one of those for me, so far this week. Nothing disastrous has happened, just a succession of irritants that have conspired to make it all rather heavy going.
On Monday, it all went fairly well until I was driving down to my brother's in the evening, when I got embroiled in a horrendous traffic jam in the aftermath of an accident on the motorway, ending up arriving well over an hour later than planned, meaning that my brother had to wait up for me again, making me feel like a total imposition on him. I also found out on Monday night that I'd left my medication at home in Cornwall, which led to a complicated manoeuvre on Tuesday and into Wednesday to retrieve it - I had to change my shift and undertake another long journey, albeit one that didn't cost me anything financially, but which sapped my dwindling stores of energy once again. Then, just as I was about to arrive back at work yesterday lunchtime, my knee, which had been holding up pretty well since Monday, decided to have another outage, which continues as I write. At the risk of wishing my life away, I'll be glad when tomorrow evening comes and I finally get back home for some R & R!
There was one major piece of good news to leaven the mix a little - my daughter has now got a place (promoted from first reserve) on her school trip to Finland in the New Year, the trip being part of a languages project her school have been involved in. She's understandably pleased and excited at the prospect of going, and will no doubt be counting the days pretty soon!
Since I've been working up in London, there seems to have been a distinct dearth of cuties in the area, but that was redressed a little on Tuesday afternoon, when I walked up to the local shopping area while I was on my meal break. There was a very attractive blond boy in front of me in the queue in the bakery, and although I only had a fleeting look at him, mostly in profile, it was still a bright moment in a not very prepossessing week. Be grateful for small mercies, I guess!

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Hi there, Sammy

    I thought you'd been rather quiet this week, and I was wondering how things were going; if you hadn't posted this I would have e-mailed you.

    I'm sorry to hear about the week's vicissitudes, and I can well understand the desire for the weekend to come so you have a chance of some rest. Have you decided when you're going to take your two weeks' leave yet?

    Finland sounds interesting: it's one of the few bits of Europe west of the former Iron Curtain that I've never visited. I'm curious that a visit there is part of a languages project, given the impenetrability of Finnish, and its lack of relationship with mnost other European languages.

    Take care

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mark
    Hopefully I'll be off the week after next and the week before Christmas, subject to confirmation from the powers-that-be. After a hectic day at work today, as well as the catalogue of hiccups earlier in the week, I'm certainly in the market for some downtime at the moment!
    I'm not quite sure how Finland and its language came to be chosen as the focus for the school's project, because although the school do offer a substantially wider range of language choices than most - they've got two full-time Chinese language teachers, for instance - Finnish isn't one of the options, and the languages that my daughter studies, slightly prosaically, are Spanish and German. I'm not quite sure if the Finns, with their reputation for being taciturn, are quite ready for my daughter's ebullience - it could be quite a culture shock on both sides!

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete