Wednesday 3 November 2010

It's all about context

It''s amazing the way that the 'where and how' of words that you use can affect the way they're understood by the person you're speaking to and can make such a difference to the reaction you get. Had he but had ears to hear, as it were, I told my brother this evening that I thought a 13 year old boy was 'cute' (he's a friend of my daughter's at her Saturday stage school, a friend that she'd very much like to make a boyfriend - and yes, he is cute!), and my brother didn't bat an eyelid, just because of the way I phrased what I said. Spin doctors are us, or what! I guess that's how politicians and some of their acolytes get away with some of the obfuscations, and even downright lies, that they do, by framing the statements in a way that sounds plausible, and has 'plausible deniability' if it all threatens to blow up in their faces at a later date.
I managed to get through my assessment successfully this morning at work, which means I'll be able to move on to something more interesting and challenging from tomorrow. My training process is going to be slowed down somewhat by the fact that I need to 'use or lose' two weeks' worth of leave by the end of the calendar year, and I have no intention of losing it - it's just a matter of picking which weeks would be most advantageous. The way things are shaping up, I might actually get a decent break over Christmas, possibly as much as 11 or 12 days, which will only be the second time in my whole career that I would have managed to do so, if it comes to fruition, although I won't be counting my chickens until I've got some sort of written confirmation. We can but hope!

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

No comments:

Post a Comment