Sunday 28 November 2010

Bad news

I won't be going back to work tomorrow after all. My mother-in-law's health has taken a serious turn for the worse, so my wife is off to the Midlands in the morning and I'm staying at home to look after my daughter. We knew this scenario would arise at some stage, given my mother-in-law's diagnosis a few months ago, but it's happened rather sooner than anticipated. I'll be off for as long as it takes, and if there's any problem with my employer over that, they'll have to sack me. I'll speak to my manager in the morning and discuss things with him then - he's aware of the situation anyway, so I'm not envisaging too many difficulties, but in these penny-pinching times, I might end up on unpaid leave. If that's what it takes, so be it.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

6 comments:

  1. Dear Sammy

    I'm very sorry to hear this. I'm not sure what to say: most of my normal responses seem thoroughly inappropriate. Nevertheless, I'll be thinking of you, and hoping that things turn out as well as they can in the circumstances. I would like to think that your employer will be understanding, and has a mechanism in place to grant a reasonable period of compassionate leave.

    Take care

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mark
    We were expecting this to crop up at some point, but were hoping it wouldn't be yet. I know what you mean about the inadequacy of normal responses, but sometimes they have value just in being expressed - thank you for your kind thoughts.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Sammy!! Like Mark, I hope things work out OK for you, and that your daughter and you find comfort with each other during this difficult time... As adults, we kind of get accustomed to the ebb and flow of life, but, to the young ones, this can be very upsetting... Your daughter is lucky to have a caring dad to guide her through this. I wish you well, Sammy, and will be thinking about you... luv, tman<3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Tony
    Thank you for your kindness. My daughter knows her grandma is very ill, and she knows she can talk about it, or not, as suits her best. I'm sure we'll find a way to deal with things, and that goes for my wife as well.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sammy B,
    Just found your blog, not sure why it took me so long! Well good!

    As to the employment situation...if they want to sack you, check out FMLA, it might apply in your case. I'm not an HR expert, but it's worth a look, and might protect your job.

    Love to follow you!
    Peace <3
    Jay
    jayinva.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Jay
    Thank you very much for commenting and following, I hope you'll find something of interest. I've been lurking at your blog pretty much since you started, having found you via Tman's blog.
    I'm not really anticipating any major problems with my employers - they're not 'dark, satanic mills' kind of operators, but even if they were, it wouldn't change my attitude. My family comes first.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete