Thursday 20 February 2014

Signed and sealed

I went up to the estate agents this afternoon, my signed copy of the tenancy contract in hand, and, within a couple of minutes, the deal was done. As of next Saturday, the aforementioned calends of March, I'll be the new tenant of the North London flat, well within the catchment area of K's new school. The process, overall, hasn't been as fraught as I'd originally expected, given the financial mess that accompanied my divorce, which is something to be grateful for. It will certainly come at a hefty price of its own, though - I'd been thinking in terms of the monthly rent hitherto, which didn't seem too daunting, but, for no particular reason, I calculated the annual equivalent on my way into work this morning, coming up with a figure which, when I first worked in London in the eighties, would've been halfway to buying a not dissimilar place I remember looking at in an estate agents' window. As ever, hindsight proves itself to be that most useless of all commodities, but, had I known, I'd have been in that office, putting in an offer there and then!

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Congrats! First step, now you have to move in and make it your place, and YOUR HOME! I know all about the renting versus buying. After I bought my first house in 1993, I've never looked back. Though at times I wonder if I'm crazy!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      I'm certainly looking forward, as I've said a number of times, to having a proper home again - a week on Sunday, that ambition will come to fruition. Unless I trip over a winning lottery ticket, I doubt I'll ever be a home owner again, making me regret even more that I didn't go for that flat in Kensal Rise all those years ago - the way property prices in London have gone since, I'd have been made for life!

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete