Friday 21 February 2014

There and back, and the bit in between

One of my periodic long day trips today, as I used my travel concessions to intercept K on her way back from Shropshire to Cornwall to hand over her new travel concession card that arrived with me the other day. It's always nice to see her, of course, but it wasn't, in the event, all that prepossessing as a social event, as K was tired and under the weather, and slept most of the way on the replacement bus service we were on, before deciding to head straight home when we eventually got to Plymouth, leaving me to get on another replacement bus and head back in the direction of 'domicile-ville'. It transpired, though, that amongst her other doings while she was with her boyfriend, she'd dyed her hair a really rather nice shade of honey-blonde (ironic, in a way, because her beau, a natural blond, has recently dyed his hair black!), which genuinely suited her. I have to say that I'm glad I'm not any sort of follower of fashion, though - it's all too much like hard work for my taste.
K wasn't the only example of pulchritude I came across today, though - there were quite a few cuties on the assorted trains and buses I was on. For once, though, my eye was mostly caught by the older end of my AoA spectrum - one, on the bus that K was sleeping on, was definitely legal, probably by a couple of years, while the guy sitting opposite me for three or four stations on my train back here must have been at least 15, maybe even older. Not, of course, that their being near or beyond the age of consent makes the slightest difference in terms of my getting close to them, but it might keep the self-appointed moral guardians at arm's length.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. I love it when the kids start dying their hair. At the LGBTQ youth group, they come in every week with different colors. Unfortunately, most of their attempts aren't very flattering, but that's their business!

    I hate "fashion". I prefer "utilitarian". My standards are: Does it cover anything that if showing would get me arrested? Is it reasonably comfortable given the weather forecast and the day's activities? OK, done. ;-)

    I do wish we had decent public transportation like you do! I'd love to be able to sit and watch the people go by. In fact, on my trips over there, that was my main pastime on the trains and buses, though eye candy was few and far between!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      K has been dyeing her hair for three or four years, on and off, mostly in school holidays, because her current school has rather strict rules about acceptable shades, but this latest version is 'school-friendly', so she'll probably keep it for a while, which, as it suits her, is no bad thing.
      I've never been any kind of 'fashion-follower', even when I was young, although that was as much because I couldn't get fashionable stuff in my size as anything else! As you say, if it's practical and comfortable, that's good enough.
      It's interesting to hear a non-Brit's perspective on our public transport, because all most people over here seem to do is complain about it! But yes, I certainly enjoy meandering, as discussed here on numerous occasions - it won't be long before I'm out and about this morning, having woken to blue skies and not working today - and the eye candy, especially during half-term weeks like this, is just the icing on the proverbial cake!

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete