Tuesday 6 May 2014

Breaking the Cornish connection

My ex rang me yesterday evening as I was on my way into work with some news that was unexpected, without being a surprise, if that makes sense. It seems that she's decided, once K moves to live here with me, that she's moving back to her home town in the Midlands. After it became clear that K wanted to move to London to do her A-Levels, the fact of my ex moving back 'home' was discussed, especially as she'd intimated a number of times over the years we were married that it was something that she'd want to do, but, at that stage, she maintained she wanted to stay in Cornwall, that her life and her friends were there, but now it's come. more or less, to 'the crunch', to K's imminent move, she's evidently changed her mind. As I said to her last night, it's right and fair that she should do whatever is best for her, but I couldn't help feeling a little pang of regret at what will be, at least for the foreseeable future, the impending break of the last link with the Duchy, the place that I still call home, in the 'home is where the heart is' sense. Will I ever find my way back there? I really don't know - there are too many unknowns in the equation at the moment, K's education, and where it will go, if anywhere, post-18, what my finances will look like at that point, what state my health will be in, even whether there might be anyone else in my life (not a likely scenario, for reasons that I've discussed almost ad nauseum here). There is an adage that you should 'never go back', back to an earlier phase/location from your life, presumably on the basis that it could never be the same as you remembered it, but, in an ideal world, I guess that my ending up back in Cornwall, retiring there, if you like, would be something I'd find congenial. Time, as ever, will tell.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. I could deal with retiring to Cornwall. Easily. Another young blogger showed me some job links for which I'm imminently qualified, maybe I'll move over there, we can fine a nice place by the sea!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      A place in Cornwall or a sea view would be would be good, both together would be great! The fly in the ointment is that any such place, whether to rent or, especially, to buy, would be prohibitively expensive. In any case, I'm committed to London for at least two years, and maybe for as much as five, depending on whether and where K might choose to go to uni after her A-Levels. After that, who knows?

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete