Saturday 3 May 2014

The wanderlust gene. And rationing

The gene, that is, that my daughter appears to have inherited from me. Not much more than 24 hours ago, impromptu, seemingly, of very little, she decided to spend her weekend visiting an online friend. In Scotland. Not just in Scotland, though, but in Northern Scotland. 590 miles from where she boarded the overnight train from Plymouth last night, according to the website I've just consulted. Madness! And it's possible that she might go back home tomorrow, although there is also the possibility that she'll spend the night at the flat to break the journey - which wouldn't upset me in the slightest, of course. It's definitely the sort of thing I would've done at her age, had I had the travel concessions that she has - indeed, it's the sort of thing I have done, albeit not so much recently. She's not her father's daughter for nothing!
Daniel was working this evening, but it was a mixed blessing - the first time I saw him, he smiled again, quite mischievously, it seemed, but the next time he passed my table, he looked right through me. The truth of the matter is, of course, that the chances of his being interested in me are somewhere between infinitesimal and zero, and that anything else is purely in my imagination. The old reality check coming to slap me in the face, and quite rightly. A ration of smiles is the best I can hope for.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. I do love your daughter! And I love that her parents raised her to be independent and able to be trusted to make journeys like this! I did much the same thing when I was about her age, being put on busses to go to camps, visit friends in other states, see relatives. I certainly had some adventures!

    Daniel "looking right through you" could have been nothing more than a stressed employee trying to remember "what's the bloody hell is next?" Don't despair! I'd say the first smile was more than worth not losing hope (or at least perspective).

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      K is confident and capable enough to travel on her own - and, after all, what's the alternative, keeping her tied up, metaphorically, at least, until she's 18, and then letting her loose devoid of 'street smarts'? She's got a good brain between her ears, and a mobile phone, so I, for one, don't see an issue.
      I think the 'reality check' perspective on Daniel is the sensible one, really - he's (almost exactly) a third of my age, and may not be gay anyway (although I'd be a little surprised if he isn't), before we even start on how he might view me. A little bit of amiable connection is the most I can realistically hope for, anything more would be a huge and unexpected bonus.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete