Friday 29 August 2014

Hoops

Let's jump through some more. When I got into work yesterday afternoon, I was ambushed by my new boss - there was another game of management musical chairs a few weeks back - who told me I was going for a medical today. I flatly refused, using the (valid) excuse that my rostered shift can't be changed with less than 48 hours notice, but the main reason was that I knew with certainty that I'd fail, because there's no way I'd reach the required eyesight standard as things stand. I've been procrastinating about getting glasses for some time, and knew I'd need to before my next work medical, but there was no immediate sense of urgency, because I knew that I wasn't due a medical until next year. Except that some desk jockey in my company's HR department had entered the wrong date into my records, which showed my medical certification had expired in June this year, and my new boss, being the utterly spineless twat that he is, caved into their version, despite my producing my current medical certificate with its expiry date of August 9 2015 there in black and white - HR said that 'must' be a mistake, and he swallowed it whole. The upshot was that I was faced with a complete Catch-22 - if I took the medical, and inevitably failed, I wouldn't be able to work, and if I refused to take the medical, my competency certificate would be withdrawn, and I wouldn't be able to work (the past two months were catered for by way of a 'risk assessment', the fact that I hadn't killed anyone or dropped dead on duty myself since June presumably being good enough evidence of my fitness to work), so, after some rather acrimonious to-ing and fro-ing, most of the acrimony on my part, I have to admit, I'm going for a medical at 10:00 on Tuesday morning. And, after an emergency visit to my local branch of Vision Express this morning, I might even have some glasses by then, although possibly not the right type - I've ordered two pairs, but the one that would definitely allow me to pass the eyesight test won't be ready in time. No fault of the staff at the opticians, though - they were really helpful, fitting me in for an eye test immediately, and doing everything they could to make sure I've got at least the first pair of glasses by Monday lunchtime. It all came at a price, of course - in this case, well over £500, although that was partly my fault, because I wanted rimless glasses, but if I get through next Tuesday, it's an outlay that will pay for itself fairly quickly, because I'll earn almost that much for the overtime shift I'm working on Thursday, and the shifts I'll be working over the following weekend. That said, if it wasn't for the money I need to help K get where she wants to be in terms of her education, I'd have probably told my boss to stick his job where the sun don't shine there and then. Early retirement, even on straitened means, would suit me fine, if it was just me, but it isn't, of course, and I need to look after my girl. Hence, the hoop jumping. I love every minute of it. Or not, as the case may be.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

3 comments:

  1. Fortunately we are responsible for ourselves being able to read what we need to read. I understand their position, though, but not why they were such asses (other than HR was NOT going to admit they'd made a mistake in your official records).

    I guess we all jump through hoops just to make it through the day sometimes. Hope the medical goes well tomorrow!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      The process of actually getting the glasses in my hand turned out to be distinctly more fraught than it should have been - my opinion of Vision Express isn't as high now as it was on Friday - and, because I've got my 'second pair' first, it might still not be enough to get through tomorrow. The fact that I'm only going at all because of a clerical error makes it all the more galling.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete
    2. We hear about crap similar, but not as job-threatening, a lot. Usually because someone thinks the nickname they have been known by since childhood should be their username for our email accounts. Yet our set-in-stone policy is that the username is based on LEGAL NAME. It really gets fun when the HR folks enter THAT wrong!

      Hope it turns out well tomorrow, Sammy!

      Peace <3
      Jay

      Delete