Tuesday 27 January 2015

Et in Arcadia ego

On the way out of 'worktown', on a particular bus route I used to use quite often, but don't so much since I moved to the flat, is a road with some very posh houses. I'd seen, as I came and went, a new house being built, and it was obvious it was going to fit in with, if not eclipse, its neighbours - it really is a very smart place. I was aware it had been finished and occupied some time ago, but what I hadn't noticed until today was what the house had been called. Arcadia. Immediately, I thought of the phrase in the title of the post, which I'd first come across in a documentary years ago, and which is usually translated as 'even in Arcadia, I am there', where 'Arcadia' represents some utopian society, and 'I' is taken to be death. A memento mori, in other words. A reminder that no matter how well-off, how privileged you are, you'll end up like the rest of us. Dead, gone, and, in short order, almost certainly forgotten. Even if you own a house like Arcadia.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      More of a truism than anything profound. Just something that struck me, really.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete