Saturday 10 January 2015

The enemy within

Not an Orwell quotation, for once, but one from Nabokov, specifically from Ada, my all-time favourite book - 'the human brain can become the best torture house of all those it has invented'. I woke from a dream an hour and a half or so ago which left the 'dream me' lying on the floor in a foetal position, crying uncontrollably. A dream in which it seemed that my subconscious had drawn together pretty much all of the elements of my emotional life that, if repeated in 'real life' (not that such a permutation could ever have happened, because of different timelines) would cause me the most distress. In a nutshell, it involved DBJ, as the 14 year old he was when I last saw him, in bed with the young woman, as she was when I last saw her, who, if marriage was ever a viable option for me, should probably have been my wife, while my actual ex appeared as a shrewish harridan and K as a 6/7 year old dreadful, uncontrollable spoilt brat (which neither of them ever were, I hasten to add). No wonder the virtual me was reduced to incoherent tears.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. I had a rather disturbing dream last night, too. I recalled it right up until now, when I wanted to tell you about it, but it involved the boy. Rather scary!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      As I've said before, I don't read that much significance into dreams, but they do produce some striking images at times, and they do sometimes illuminate psychological truths. Like the fact that my dream avatar's tears were for the boy, not the girl - the 'dream me' wailing 'I want (DBJ)' was the last thing I remember before I woke up. Sad, but true.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete