Thursday 1 January 2015

The New Year is difficult already

I guess there could have been more sombre news to start 2015, but the phone call I received at 10:30 is certainly enough to be going on with - my ex's dad, and, obviously, K's grandad, died this morning. It wasn't exactly a shock - he was 82, and he'd been in poor health for several years - but my ex, of course, was very upset. K was a bit more sanguine - as she said herself, she never really knew him that well, given that she grew up, for the most part, in Cornwall, the best part of 300 miles from my ex's home town, as opposed to her cousins, who all live within 30 minutes drive. K is going to go to the funeral, although when that will be is still to be arranged, but she seems determined to carry on with life as normal in the interim. I will, of course, be around for her if things catch up with her later, but she seems to be coping at the moment. I just hope that this isn't going to set the tone for this very new New Year.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

6 comments:

  1. Sad, that. I guess it’s good she didn’t know him very well. Did you know him very well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello
      I always got along very well with him, although we had to agree to disagree on many 'political' issues - he was quite 'right-wing', whereas I'm a committed liberal - but, overall, he was a good man, and the world, as far as I'm concerned, is the poorer for his passing.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete
    2. It sounds like he was a decent part of your life for at least a while, you have no desire to attend the funeral yourself?

      Delete
    3. Hello
      I'm not part of the 'family' anymore - if K wants me to go, for her sake, something that we've already talked about, I certainly will, but, otherwise, probably not. Maybe a little selfish, but that's the way things go with fractured families, sometimes.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete
  2. I am sorry for K's and your ex's sake. I understand the reluctance to want to go to the funeral. I was rather "sanguine" at my grandmothers' passings while I was a teen. Although I knew them, as you say, then the visits were few and far between, it's not like we were close.

    My boy's great aunt had a major stroke the other day, and is comatose, but alive on her own. I hope like you, that this is a harbinger.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      K seems fine at the moment, but, as I said in the post. I'm here for her if there's any kind of 'delayed reaction'. My ex has her family near her now, which is, I'm sure, going to help her. And, as you suggest, I certainly don't want this to set the tone for 2015.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete