Thursday 12 March 2015

Cuteness, and the latest slip of Farage's mask

I headed more or less straight home after work yesterday, partly through exhaustion, and partly because I had a couple of domestic things to do, most notably washing. I stopped off in our local town centre on the way to pick up a few bits of shopping, and on walking back through to the bus station, found myself getting on the same bus as a boy I thought I recognised. And, indeed, as we alighted at the same stop a few minutes later, it proved to be my cute next door but one neighbour. I hadn't seen him for three months or so (ironically, given how close he lives), and, in the intervening time, doubtless under the influence of puberty, he's got even cuter - he was a bit on the 'chunky' side, but he seems to have got taller without gaining much weight, if any, and his face is losing the last of its 'little-boyishness', leaving him heading, apparently, for decidedly handsome youth. The ratchet of temptation tightened another turn or two, just what I need on the doorstep!
On the journey into work this morning (the last 'stupid o'clock' for a while, I'm delighted to say!), one of the main items on the 6:00 news was the vile UKIP leader's latest pronouncement, that he believes that racial equality laws should be abolished, because 'racism isn't a problem anymore', and that employers should be able to hire on the basis of 'nationality'. Apart from the self-evident fact that Farage's very statement proves that racism and xenophobia are decidedly alive and well, there is a completely obvious 'domino effect' here - if racial equality laws are scrapped, what rational person would imagine that curbs on gender and orientation discrimination wouldn't go the same way in very short order? I read a Guardian report just now about Farage's comments, which described them as 'a lazy appeal to lazy voters'. Unarguable, but, as I've bemoaned before, being lazy and stupid doesn't disenfranchise anyone.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Working with youth can be tough as you seeing them in the local and in between!
    ARRRGH!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      The 'ghosts', the cute boys I see while I'm out and about, are, apart from making my heart ache a little, not too problematic. Closer proximity or longer timescales, though, whether planned or accidental, are more difficult, and, as I've said before, having a genuine cutie living almost next door, is one of the more fraught of those scenarios. Between fear of consequences on my part and the disinterest that he would doubtless have in me, though, I can't imagine anything untoward happening, other than my getting a bit more frustrated than I already am.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete