Monday 27 April 2015

Cul-de-sac

After finishing my latest story yesterday, I had a brief skim this morning through some of the others I've got in draft, to see whether any have sufficient merit to try and take forward. The results weren't encouraging. There is one, which in terms of its origins, is actually older than my blogs - I began writing it in an exercise book, mostly in quiet times in my previous Cornish workplace - which I'd really like to be able to finish, but I've been totally becalmed on one particular passage, which I know needs to be rewritten, because it simply doesn't work in its present form, but, even after three years of periodically revisiting it, I can't work out how to fix it. That story apart (in fact, that story included), though, most of the others are no more than variations on my normal theme, man/boy relationships, not all sexual, by any means, but all much of a muchness. I could definitely do with finding something completely different to write about, in the way I managed with Londoner, but what that 'something different' might be is the problem. For all I enjoy writing, I'm not the world's most imaginative person, added to which my own life experience is really not at all interesting. I could do with the proverbial '1% inspiration', but it's conspicuous by its absence at the moment.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Same here. My blog has devolved into a weekly reporting of life, which I guess is OK, but unless I write something that sounds like an angsty 13 year old girl, I get 3 or 4 comments, where I used to get 10 or more. Sigh...

    I still haven't had a chance to read your latest, I apologize. This weekend was wickedly busy, and I am still tired to night. I promise I'll get to it. I hope something pings your imagination soon!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      I guess most of us do live relatively routine lives, making it difficult to keep a 'journal' type blog fresh - I can certainly see cycles and repetition here, all too often. Fiction should be different, though, because, in theory, you can write about anything, even if, in practice, it doesn't feel that easy. That's why I'm not a professional writer, no doubt!

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete