Wednesday 22 April 2015

Scary

I had a very unnerving moment at work at around 4:00 this morning. Nothing to do with the job - that was busyish, by night shift standards, but far from being overwhelming. Instead, it was due to a quirk of my metabolism. I suffer, from time to time, from gout, and now is one of those times. I usually keep the symptoms under control with ibuprofen, bought for pennies from the supermarket shelf, but there are occasions when the pain needs something a bit stronger, so I took a tablet of a prescription medication from a previous episode. A medication I've taken on numerous previous occasions, most recently just a couple of weeks ago. But this time, it all went wrong. I had an allergic reaction. One minute, almost, I was fine, waiting for the effects of the pill to kick in, the next my chest tightened up, I had what felt like an unswallowable lump in my throat, and I was itching all over. Luckily, I realised what had happened, and, equally luckily, I had some antihistamines in my bag, promptly taking one. Within an hour, the symptoms of the reaction had largely gone, even if the pain in my foot was as unpleasant as ever. Isn't evolution wonderful - a physiological reaction which developed to fight off environmental pathogens turning on its 'owner' causing, potentially at least, more problems than it solves. Not that I need it, but yet more evidence against the concept of an 'intelligent designer' - if humans had been 'created' in that supernatural fashion, side effects would be unheard-of - unless 'god' has a sick sense of humour, of course.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. I am SOOOO thankful that I do NOT suffer from gout. A friend who does seems to be suffering a LOT. I think in your case, I would see the doc about a less allergic drug! That would be SCARY!

    I am very glad that you were able to self medicate and recover! Wow. I would have panicked, I am sure. Perhaps you can get an Epi-pen for episodes like that? Much faster than an antihistamine.

    Whew! Crisis passed!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      Gout is most definitely in the 'no fun at all' file - walking around, when every step you take (gout seems, in my experience, mainly to affect the feet - my dad suffered from it in the same way, too) feels like someone is sticking a knife in your foot is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. As far as the reaction to the pill was concerned, it was something that has never happened to me before, but K was prescribed the same drug for a trapped nerve in her shoulder last year, and reacted badly to it as well, in her case in terms of her asthma flaring up after a lengthy period of remission, which was one of the reasons I was able to cotton on to why I was suddenly feeling so terrible as quickly as I did. If my gout is bad enough to send me to the doctor, I'll certainly make sure they prescribe something else next time around!

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete