Saturday 18 April 2015

Reindeer shopping, and some nice news

When K went to Finland on a language exchange trip four years ago, she came back raving about, amongst other things, one particular item of the local cuisine. Reindeer meat. Despite some fairly extensive research, though, it seemed to be pretty much unobtainable over here. Until I went past a butcher's shop not too far from where we live a couple of days ago, which, as well as supplying the usual pork, beef, lamb and poultry, has a sideline in 'exotic' meats. And in their window was an advert for reindeer steaks. As soon as I told K, she was ready to make a beeline for the place instantly, but other commitments meant that it was this morning before we actually got there. As it turned out, 'steaks' was an exaggeration - they had exactly one in stock! It was purchased, of course, and I pan fried it with my own fair hand this evening for my girl, who thoroughly enjoyed it. She kindly allowed me to try a morsel, and it was rather nice, albeit not that much different to regular venison as far as I was concerned, perhaps slightly less dense in texture, but similar in taste.
I'd barely finished the washing up when K rushed out of her room excitedly, bubbling over with the news that her cousin (my niece) had just got engaged. My brother's daughter has been, ever since she was a toddler, very close to my heart, so I'm just as thrilled for her as K was. It's her 21st birthday today, and her boyfriend (now fiancé) had taken her to California as her present, proposing to her at the gates of Disneyland. Through the joys of social media, everyone knew within an hour, and were even able to admire the ring! I spoke to my brother shortly afterwards, finding him a proud father, needless to say. A good day, all round.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. I've never tried reindeer, but I expect it to be much like bison. Rather dry and gamy. HAHAHA

    Congrats on the upcoming wedding! Always fun.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      K enjoyed the meat, which is the main thing. And I'm not expecting wedding bells any time too soon - my niece and her beau have both got reasonable jobs, but they're not exactly rolling in money, and, the odd holiday apart, I think that saving to buy a house is higher on their agenda. We'll see, no doubt.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete