Friday 17 April 2015

What is this 'day off' of which you speak?

A little gentle plagiarism of Douglas Adams, but I hope his shade will forgive me!
But yeah, a day off. My body clock wasn't in on the secret, though - despite a late night (the muse cocked half an eye at me 24 hours or so ago, and it was too good an opportunity to miss), I woke at 4:30 this morning, even in the absence of an alarm. I did manage to get back to sleep, but the circadian demons couldn't be kept at bay for that much longer, and I was definitively up and about by 7:15. Distinctly to my surprise, though, K wasn't all that far behind me - she's still on Easter holiday, not back to school until Tuesday, but was up by 8:00 - bemoaning the fact that she hasn't been able to sleep into the afternoon even once during her break. I could have scored a cheap point by saying something along 'welcome to the real world' lines, but, being the soul of diplomacy that I am, I resisted the temptation! Her earlier than expected appearance worked to her advantage, though, because we went into our local town centre together, and she ended up with her Oystercard doubly refreshed, with a new monthly bus pass, and £20 of 'pay and go' credit for her to use on the Tube, as well as some extra cash in her purse. As I said to her a couple of days ago, when she asked me for some money for new clothes (which she hasn't had yet, but will get in due course), what's the point of me working all this overtime if no-one benefits from it!
Once we'd gone our separate ways, my day progressed in a rather predictable fashion, some meandering, including one or two new, to me, bits of the Metropolis, and ending up here, in my local. There were some nice sights en route, too - many London schools are back in session again, but others, as in K's case, are not - but the nicest of all came on the bus up here, a cutie with dark, curly hair, and very kissable looking lips, who was obviously either on his way to or from playing table tennis, given the TLC he was lavishing on his bat (or is paddle the right word?) while sitting opposite me. It was one of those 'near miss' kind of moments - I looked at him, he looked at me, he half-smiled, but both of us, for our different reasons, his caution and my paranoia, probably, fought shy of actually initiating a conversation. The walls we build between us, especially in the 'big city'.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Your eye candy quotient is WAY up! Very cool. I had some tonight, too, a rather good looking lad (I know his age, he's "old"), was yanking on his jeans and making a certain part of his anatomy bounce in front of my face. I wish I could tell if he knows what effect that has on me! HAHAHAHAHA

    I will be up early tomorrow, as I volunteered to do a demonstration of ham radio for some people "up north". I only have to drive 3 miles to the EOC, but it will require an 8AM rising on a bloody Saturday!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      One of my 'eye candy' encounters yesterday, with a boy at a bus stop, had resonances with your experience - he was a 'well-built' young man, shall we say! Table tennis boy, though, did look as though he might have been one who would have held a conversation, if nothing else, and, as I've said before, I'd love to have a boy as a friend, even if my chances of having a 'boyfriend' are infinitesimal to zero. Maybe one day.
      K is up early (for her) again this morning - we're off on an unusual shopping trip soon, which I'll probably write about later, if it goes as planned.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete