Sunday 5 April 2015

Easter mix

The absurdity of our Sunday trading laws, and, in particular, the far more draconian restrictions in place on Easter Sunday, enacted as a sop to the small minority of noisily active Christianists when the current legislation was passed in the nineties, was very obvious as I meandered earlier today. While it's illegal for supermarkets to open, making it difficult to buy a loaf of bread (although not around here, admittedly, because smaller '7-11' type shops, which London is awash with, are exempt), all of the betting shops were open. Along Oxford Street, all the shoe shops were open, but the clothes shops were closed. A perfumery was open, while the jewellers next door was shut. Sunglass Hut was open, but opticians were closed. 'Shambles' doesn't seem to be a strong enough word. Logic and reason ought to suggest that consistency would be far better, either (for preference) everything open or everything closed. Given that the mess is down to religion, though, it's a vain hope indeed to expect either logic or reason to come within a country mile of the situation.
As things have turned out, I'm on my own this weekend - K was intending to go and see her mother at some point in the school holidays, but she didn't tell me until Friday that she'd arranged to go yesterday, and duly did! It's no great issue, except that I'd already shopped for the makings of a posh Sunday roast (which, fortunately, will all keep until tomorrow, when my girl will be back), and haven't got anything much else in to concoct a meal for myself with (not helped, of course, by the aforementioned shop closures today). My Sunday dinner might well end up being a takeaway! So, surprise, surprise, I've 'found myself' in my local again. And received the biggest treat of the day, too - a couple of smiles from a very cute boy, in for a meal with his parents. Not quite on a par with the original 'smiling boy' who so lifted my spirits the first time I came in here, but not far short.
Anyway, Happy Easter to those of you that celebrate the occasion, and happy Sunday to those who don't.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Awesome!!!! RB is here, actually outside raking leaves (money-hungry cuss that he is!). I will be ordering pizza delivery soon, I think, to feed us both. Can't send him back to school hungry!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      It wasn't a bad day, all in all - the cutie was the highlight, of course - although it's ended (or the new day begun, depending on perspective) with a rather sleepless night, hence me typing this at 4:00 in the morning. I'd have needed to be up in 30 minutes time to get ready for work, anyway. Glad you had some congenial company, too.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete