Friday 18 June 2010

Bigotry and cheap shots

I have to say from the outset that much of this post is going to be based on supposition, and I stand to be corrected on the specifics, but the more general point, I feel, is worth making.
JJ's blog appears to be no more - I saw a brief post, which was like a blogsphere equivalent of a shout of pain, last night, and nothing has changed as I write, almost 24 hours later. His previous post consisted largely of a open letter from an academic to a radio presenter, who belongs, to use a generic term, to the 'religious right' in the U.S., pointing out, in a humorous way, the intellectual dishonesty of selectively using biblical quotations to promote a particular brand of morality, one which, amongst other things, is avowedly homophobic. I am, as I've said before in this blog, a committed atheist, but I've got no interest in converting anyone to my belief system - all I ask is the tolerance to allow me to believe what I believe, a courtesy which I'm more than happy to extend in reciprocation to anyone. What I strongly object to, however, is anyone trying to impose their beliefs and morality on me, and, even more strongly, to those who try to use their religion as a weapon to browbeat others into submission to their beliefs. I'm no expert in theology, but I think I'm right in saying that most major religions espouse love and compassion, but from what I see of the more fundamentalist elements in those religions, they seem more interested in spreading fear and hatred.
JJ's last post makes a reference to 'bad people', and this is where the supposition on my part comes in. Given the potentially controversial subject matter of the previous post, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if someone who feels their religion has been impugned has made a comment about his being gay, or his traumatic past, and has told him he's going to go to hell, or some such thing. If that is the case, I hope, though I suspect I hope in vain, that the person(s) responsible realises what they've done, namely attack an emotionally fragile 14 year old boy, and that they're thoroughly ashamed of themselves. Even if religion isn't involved, and someone has just said something personally hurtful to the boy, it's still the cheapest of cheap shots, doubtless made anonymously. I saw an advert on TV a couple of days ago trying to dissuade young people from 'cyberbullying', but it seems that there are some older people out there who might look at themselves in that regard.

Many thanks to Eddie, 'Always horny gay boy', for becoming my most recent follower.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

3 comments:

  1. I think you are on the wrong track here. Read the last post on Rhyn's blog: http://rhyn.dreamingindigital.net/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Brian
    I did say at the start of the post that I stood to be corrected, but the point I was making about bigotry, I feel, is still valid. I did read Rhyn's post, after I'd written mine, and you're no doubt right in saying it's more relevant.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apparently the two of them have had a falling out for some reason and it has affected JJ badly. I hope he can get past it and go back to blogging again.

    ReplyDelete