Sunday 27 June 2010

The muse and Muse

An interesting evening into the early hours of this morning. I spent something like 6 hours, from initial idea coming into my mind to clicking the 'Publish Post' button, on a story for "Nephelokokkygia", which I have to admit was very dark, perhaps reflecting my mood of yesterday morning, but which I'm still pretty pleased with as a piece of work. I recently saw a programme recorded at last month's Hay literary festival where the Nobel laureate Nadine Gordimer was interviewed, in which she described her experience of the ideas for short stories coming fully formed into her mind, and while she's obviously an infinitely better writer than I am, the story I wrote last night came to me in that sort of way, at least in terms of plot, just leaving me the task of hanging some characterisation and dialogue onto the ready-made scaffolding in my head.
During the course of my keyboard tapping, I watched the BBC coverage of the headline gig by Muse at the Glastonbury festival. I'm not a follower of the current music scene, and haven't been since the early 1990's - the most recent CD in my car is 'Nevermind', from 1991 - so apart from the odd track I've heard on Planet Rock, I didn't know very much about Muse. Rowan of 'Daily Doings' is a major enthusiast, though, so I decided to use last night as an opportunity to get more of an idea about them, and I was suitably impressed. I don't think I'll be rushing out today to buy up their entire back catalogue, but it was a pretty good gig, and many of their songs were well within the boundaries of my taste in music - they're certainly a proper rock band, and the encore with The Edge did nothing to detract from the good impression, either, especially given my long-standing as a U2 fan.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

No comments:

Post a Comment