Saturday 19 June 2010

Working weekend, Part 1

I was unlucky enough to have been able to stay awake late enough last night to have seen England's woeful effort against Algeria in the World Cup, which meant I went to bed rather later than I would normally have done on an early shift day, which in turn meant that I've been pretty washed out for most of today. I really don't mind shift work in general terms, I've been doing it for thirty-odd years, after all, but it isn't conducive to settled sleep patterns.
It looked for a long time as though I wasn't going to be treated to my workday (but non-schoolday) highlight, but the boy did eventually appear, around midday, looking as gorgeous as ever, putting a smile on my face, as he always does - it's a good job I normally work on my own!
Speaking of lightness of heart, given that my last effort for 'Nephelokokkygia' was rather on the downbeat side, I'm trying to produce something decidedly more comedic. The idea I've got has, I think, got the potential to be quite amusing, but whether, given my rather serious and sometimes over-intense personality, I'm best equipped to write comedy remains to be seen.
I'm not entirely without the capacity to laugh, though. My daughter and I quite often set sail on fairly odd flights of fancy, my tendency towards the surreal and her acting ability combining to produce the sort of duologues that other people might find entertaining, even though my wife often sits through our performances looking rather bemused, as she did tonight when our evening meal ended with some uninhibited silliness, my daughter playing a slightly psychotic waitress while I improvised a suitable 'script'. One of these days, we might come up with something saleable, you never know!
Rather more seriously, it seems that the speculation that led to me writing yesterday's post was completely wrong, but my diatribe against religious bigotry and similar hypocrisies would've been written sooner or later, and I stand by the general tenor of what I said - I really do object to those who award themselves the 'ability' to make definitive pronouncements on God's views, and try to dictate how other people should live their lives on the basis of their, in my humble opinion, spurious insights. If God did exist, a view I don't subscribe to, I can't imagine Him/Her/It being so small-minded as to judge people on their sexual, racial or, indeed, religious affiliations.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

No comments:

Post a Comment