Wednesday 23 June 2010

On a knife edge

This evening threw up an example of why I need to get out of my present job as soon as I can. It's all been pretty quiet in the three weeks since I've been back, and nothing actually happened today, but I saw the potential and the potential effects. Around 8:30, a group of around 20 youths, mid to late teens, turned up outside my workplace, some obviously the worse for drink and correspondingly noisy, spilling into the road and shouting abuse at a motorist who had the audacity to beep his horn at them. Nothing was directed my way, but even so, my stress levels went through the roof, with the predictable effect on my heart rate and rhythm. They all dispersed again within about 15 minutes, but I was left feeling pretty shaky for a good half hour afterwards. There's no way I can carry on much longer with this kind of stress - I spend a third of my working life on late shift, and being on tenterhooks over what might happen for that proportion of my time is completely insupportable.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

3 comments:

  1. I don't understand. Why did these youth gather there? Does this have anything to do with your job or the company you work for? Did you feel threatened by them? How will changing jobs within your own company change things?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Brian
    Without telling you what I do for a living, which I don't want to do because it's too big a clue to my real identity, it's difficult to answer your questions in any transparent kind of way. Perhaps the simplest way I can put it is to say that I work completely on my own, and in a location where any kind of backup, whether from company colleagues or even police, would take a substantial length of time to arrive. The stress derives partly from the feelings of vulnerability this elicits, and partly from the knowledge that if a similar situation arose to that which caused my last bout of sickness, the potential exists for me to leave work in an ambulance, or, if I lost my temper to the extent that I know from past experience that I'm capable of, in handcuffs. The point of a change of jobs would be to move to a location where I wouldn't be as isolated, and not have to work in an environment where I was continually exposed to the risk of verbal abuse, or worse, just for having the audacity to do my job.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it doesn’t sound like a good situation for you to be in. I hope you do get the new job so you can be in a more safe environment and away from the stress you are having to put up with now. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete