Tuesday 29 June 2010

If there's one thing worse than getting up at 4AM...

...it's getting up at 4AM because of a rostering error. I'd been asked last week to work an overtime early shift today on what should have been the last day of my long weekend, so I not only got up early this morning, but built my day yesterday on the basis of having to go to bed early last night, only to get into work to find one of my colleagues already there. As it transpired, the roster clerk had forgotten to tell me that my services were no longer required, and I will get paid for the day, even though all I did was drive to work, turn around and drive home again, but I'm not so desperate for money that I would've done any such thing voluntarily. There were two beneficial side effects, though, if I'm thinking along the lines of silver linings - I came up for an idea for another little story for the other blog, and I saw something which gave me an idea for accommodation when I move to my new job, namely a camper van for sale. After a little online research - OK, 5 minutes on Ebay! - I worked out that if I stay in my new job for more than about 18 months, a reasonably cheap camper van will more than pay for itself as against more conventional accommodation, not least because I can sell it again at the end of its useful, to me, life.
Another silver lining was that my unexpected morning at leisure allowed me to watch a two-part Hay festival session programme with Stephen Fry. On a list of those I'd like to spend a sunny afternoon in a beer garden in conversation with, he is the undisputed Number One - he comes over as the most interesting, erudite and humane person I can think of.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Hi there, Sammy

    You're a lot more sanguine about an unnecessary 4AM wake-up than I would be - but you have thirty years' more experience of shift work than I have!

    The camper van idea sounds interesting. I can certainly see some advantages, not least that it could provide transport as well as accommodation. However, I'm not sure what the options might be for a campsite or equivalent in the area of your new job. In my case, I think I'd find the available space too constricted, but then I am something of a pack-rat, and rather inclined to collect stuff.

    I should also say, somewhat belatedly: congratulations on the new job! You're explained the pros and cons, so I know it's something of a mixed blessing, but I hope that the change of location and extra income will justify the downsides.

    Take care

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mark
    I might sound sanguine now, but when I rang the roster clerk at 9:00 this morning, there weren't too many complimentary words heading in his direction! The camper van idea fits in with the ethos of the new job - earn as much money as possible as quickly as possible, and spend as little of it unnecessarily as possible, so I can minimise the time before I can retire disgracefully back to sunny Cornwall!
    It's nice to hear from you again, and I hope your health issues haven't been too onerous.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete