Sunday 23 June 2013

Clearing the air....a little

I had a longish chat with my daughter this evening, after a day when neither of us ended up in London, contrary to our original plans - she went to Exeter with her boyfriend, while I stayed in, having woken up feeling none too wonderful this morning. We seem to have reached a place where we agreed that we both want to stay on good terms, as has largely been the case hitherto - I told her I was aware, and in agreement with, her growing independence, the fact that she has her friends, including the new beau, and her own lifestyle, while she knows that after all that's happened in the last year or so, she is very much central to my life, and to my motivation to carry on at all. I made it clear that I wanted her to be honest with me, that if I was becoming too demanding she should tell me to back off, rather than allowing things to fester beneath the surface to the point where an argument might be sparked, something that I want to avoid. We have habitually been on the same wavelength for much of her childhood and adolescence, so, hopefully, if we can keep the lines of communication open, our relationship should be able to evolve as she gets ever closer to adulthood. Of course, the fact that I'm fundamentally a 13 year old boy in my head, as I've said before, probably doesn't make the process as easy as it might be, but I'll try and keep my more immature impulses in check as best I can.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Glad you were able to talk to her. And even gladder it was a nice, non-confrontational conversation!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      We can usually communicate, and there isn't often much, if any, friction between us - it's just a matter of doing our best to make sure that state of affairs continues.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete