Saturday 15 June 2013

Drained

I guess I should add a disclaimer here, along the lines of 'don't read this post if you're just about to eat a meal', because it probably isn't for the squeamish, but after days of hanging around with nothing much, seemingly, happening, I was whisked off at literally thirty seconds notice early this afternoon, to be ultrasound scanned, have a hole drilled in my back and a chest drain fitted. The way it was done did, I suppose, prevent me from sitting around worrying about the prospect, although sitting bent over a medical couch knowing someone is, effectively, going to stab you in the back at any moment, albeit under local anaesthetic, is one of the more unnerving things I've experienced. The anticipation was worse than the actuality, though, and the device is now doing its job - a litre or so of rather vile looking red gunk has emerged already, with more, it seems, to follow. Given that the consensus amongst the doctors for more than a week has been that the fluid needs to go for me to get markedly better, the fact that something is actually being done about it is welcome, even if the practicalities are a bit uncomfortable and gory. Short term pain for long term gain - I hope!

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

4 comments:

  1. Oh man, Sammy! What a way to go about it! But I am soooo glad that positive action is being taken, no matter how gross. Be glad they didn't just make you swallow kitty litter! HAHAHAHA

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      2.5 litres and counting so far - I shudder to think of the amount of cat litter it would've taken to soak that lot up! The only slight frustration is that this could've been done a week ago. Oh well, if the end result is for me to walk out of here, never to return, then that will be fine.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete
  2. Hi there, Sammy

    It definitely sounds like progress, even if the practicalities are rather unpleasant. I hope it's having the desired effect in terms of making you actually feel better.

    Take care

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mark
      There haven't been any immediate dramatic improvements in how I feel, but it's less than 24 hours since the procedure, so I'm still hopeful. The beginning of the end of this saga, with any luck.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete