Wednesday 12 June 2013

Not exactly what I wanted to hear

But, probably, not as bad as it sounds. I had an echocardiogram yesterday, a cross between an ECG and an ultrasound scan which can show the heart's doings in real time and record the results on a computer. I had one at the general hospital near my old home just over four years ago, which showed no physiological problem, leading to the diagnosis that my heart arrhythmia was caused by stress. This latest one was different, though - there is a weakness in the muscles of the ventricles, which means that I'm officially suffering from heart failure. If ever a diagnostic phrase sounded dire, 'heart failure' must be close to the top of the list, but, as with many things, it actually covers a continuum of conditions, of which mine is very much at the lower end of the spectrum of seriousness. It can be controlled, if not repaired, by medication, the pills concerned being much the same ones I took for years to manage the original arrhythmia. The only x-factor is what attitude my employer might take towards the diagnosis, whether they would, given their almost legendary risk aversion, decide that I was no longer fit to do my job. That said, being deemed medically unfit, in current circumstances, might not be such a bad thing - I have known people, during my career, that have done fairly well out of that version of early retirement, although whether the goalposts have been moved of late, I don't know. All I can do is to tell my manager what the situation is, and let the process take its course.
As far as my more immediate health issues go, I know more or less certainly that I'm going to be admitted to the other hospital to have the fluid draining procedure done, but what I don't know yet is whether I'll be going directly there from here, or whether I'll be sent home for a while and then called back as an outpatient or day case. I might find out tomorrow, given a fair wind. All in all, I just want to be well, or well enough to function reasonably normally, at least, but another doctor I saw yesterday told me it could take six more weeks before I reach that point. Cheer me up, why don't you!

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

6 comments:

  1. Hi there, Sammy

    Thanks for the update. I agree that some of it, at least, doesn't sound very positive, but at least there seems to be some progress with diagnosis and treatment. The fluid draining procedure sounds distinctly unappealing, but should at least produce some noticeable improvement.

    I hope the progress continues, and you're back to normal well within the six weeks.

    Take care

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mark
      I'm not looking forward to the treatment, but if it means that I m not coughing all the time, it will be a price worth paying. That said, I heard the nurses' handover this morning, and it sounds like the doctors at the two hospitals are at odds about who should be doing what. Just what I need in the circumstances, being in the middle of a demarcation dispute!

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete
  2. I am sure that having the information is better than what I am sure the alternatives could be, though I must agree that hearing those dire words cannot be easy.

    At least we're in the 21st Century, and there are treatments for the condition. Thank goodness. I know this is all depressing, and the lung stuff sounds absolutely awful, but again, I am thankful you can be treated and will GET WELL!

    Be a good patient, take your pills, don't pinch the (male) nurses (or doctors) and you'll get out of there quickly!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      I guess, on balance, it's better to know your condition accurately than not, especially when there are treatment options available, although knowing you have something that is effectively incurable, albeit manageable, isn't the happiest of news.
      All the staff here are perfectly safe with me, as you well know - one of the main incentives for me to get out of here is to renew my acquaintance with my preferred 'flavour' of eye candy!

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete
  3. Are these your doctors:

    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_beg_NVvazA/Tbre4KSx2pI/AAAAAAAAJWA/04rYhIJL55Q/s1600/brains+far_side002.jpg

    And my favorite:

    http://www.myleftlung.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/LarsonToon01.jpg\

    caption: "Okay, Williams, we'll just vote. How many here say the heart has four chambers?"

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Andy
    I'm having trouble following the links on my Kindle, but what I suspect has happened is that there's been a plan in mind for a few days, which has now fallen through, so the doctors are now scrambling around trying to find something else to put in its place. Meanwhile, I'm rather stuck in limbo, getting neither worse nor better. Hopefully Plan B will be an improvement.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete