Monday 10 June 2013

There must be some logic there somewhere

But I'm afraid it escapes me. Nothing substantive has changed today as far as my medical situation goes - I'm feeling no worse, but little better, either, the doctor I saw on Friday wants to carry on with the 'catchall' medication, the only extra element being that, at some point, I may have to go to a different hospital to have an endoscopy-type procedure to track down and drain off the fluid around my lungs, but, in the meantime, I'm going nowhere. Given that lack of change, and the fact that I'm trying to be as patient a patient as I can, the staff haven't paid me much attention today, and quite rightly, because they've had higher priority things to do. Until I made the mistake of dozing off in the chair beside my bed after the evening meal - as ever, sleeping in hospital is a very hit and miss affair - when it apparently suddenly became essential for the nurse to come over and wake me up to ask if I was alright! I resisted, barely, the temptation to say I was fine until I was woken! The joy of hospital life knows no bounds.
Yesterday was rather better, though, as both my brother and sister-in-law, and a good friend were kind enough to make lengthy journeys, giving up big chunks of their respective weekends, to come and visit me. Seeing friendly faces, and sharing conversations, is a big boost, and I'm very grateful to all of them for their time and trouble.
My daughter hasn't been able to visit, sadly, because it simply isn't practicable, but, as usual, I have been speaking to her most days. I've had the impression, more than once recently, that the girl isn't all that happy with life at the moment, and my suspicions as to the reason was confirmed this evening, namely that there's a lot of tension between my daughter and her mother of late. Maybe I'm looking for justifications to go back to Cornwall, but helping my daughter to escape from a difficult situation would be one of the more genuine ones.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

4 comments:

  1. Hi there, Sammy

    Thanks for the update. I'm sorry to hear there's no change - I can only guess how frustrating it is for you to be stuck "in limbo", with no change to your physical condition, nor to the doctors' understanding of it. I'm not sure I could cope with it as stoically as you. Best of luck for your recovery.

    Take care

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mark
      I don't think it's stoicism so much as my deep desire to not have to come back once I do get out of here! It would be nice to escape, and to feel better, but I think this is clearly one of those 'it's going to take as long as it takes' scenarios. Thank you, as ever, for the good wishes.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete
  2. I am glad you are being a patient patient. My dad wasn't, and it made it tough when he needed in-patient care. He would also agree with you about hit and miss rest in a hospital. He finally called his doctor one night at 2AM, after having been awakened for the umpteenth time to take blood pressure, give medication (to help him sleep), etc. etc. etc. and told him that if he was awakened one more time after he fell asleep at night, a lot of people were going to be sorry. They left him alone after that!

    I heard about the visits. Very cool! And I'm sorry about your daughter. That sounds like no fun at all. BTW, what about the song? Was any progress ever made?

    Hope things change for the better all the way around, Sammy!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      As I said to Mark, I'm trying to put up with as much as I can to facilitate getting out of here, and staying out. Incidents like yesterday evening's do push the limits of your patience, though!
      I need, at some early juncture, to get together with K and talk through everything that's going on. Needless to say, though, if she needs me around, I'll do whatever it takes, and if that means ditching the job, sobeit. As to the song, I'm afraid I reached the stage of 'I'll expect it when I see it' a good while ago. It's disappointing on a number of levels, but if K can't or won't do it, there's nothing much I can do.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete